Thursday, May 26, 2011

Why is religion such a big deal?

Yesterday on facebook, a girl that I had known since 4/5 grade was posting statuses related to her religion (Christianity) like "Like this if you believe in God!" and "Like this if you DON'T believe in God." I commented on the 2nd, asking if she was talking about the Christian God or any god at all? Someone else commented that (of course) she was talking about the "Judaic Christian God," so, in response, I clicked like, and definitely offended a bunch of people. She then proceeded to interrogate me! She asked me nicely at first like she was actually curious like why I did not believe in God, but then it turned kind of brutal after I said I was Wiccan. I started getting questions like "Would you ever convert?" and responses to my responses like "I have a relationship with my God." I can understand it, and it doesn't sound to bad on here, but she was asking like she looked down on me and did not accept that I believe in her God. She seemed incredulous that I was happier now than I had ever been when I was "Christian." Her words were offensive, and she knew it.
I don't see why people judge people on their religion. If I'm a nice person to you, what does it matter if I'm Wiccan? There are plenty of Christian murderers; Would you accept them over me? If your religion teaches you to "love thy neighbor," how could you hate someone?
The Westboro Baptist Church. Does anyone know who I'm talking about? The people in that chuch claim to be Christian, but they HATE homosexuals, Jews, soldiers, and Australians. There's probably more to that list too. How can you be Christian and hate someone? How can you be Christian and claim God hates JEWS. Wasn't Jesus a Jew? And they claim God hates Easter. Isn't Easter a CHRISTIAN holiday?
I just don't get it.
Accept people for who they are, not who they believe in.

1 comment:

  1. ~you told me to read it later lolz so i did!~ ^_^ <3 and I completely agree, I just stoped telling people if I was asked because all though TECHNICALLY I'm a christian - i DON'T support ORGANIZED RELIGION because of the hypocracy that you're talking about. I accept anyone's religon, just because it's not the same view as mine and I might not agree wiht it isn't a reason to hate them, just accept that they are different, and move on. You're one of my best friends, Dei, and do I care that you're wiccan? No. Because it's your choice. Who am I to tell someone their wrong about what they believe. If we were all ment to believe in the same "God" then there wouldn't be more than one religion to chose from.
    And about the church thing... that's THE MAIN reason I REFUSE to go to church because like I said they are all a bunch of hypocrites (sp?).

    ~Now I have to go write my own rant... lolz ^_^ <3~

    ~Don't worry Mells, I still love you! and I respect you're decision to be Wiccan. ^_^ <3 (teehee ;) )~

    ReplyDelete